D&D role playing forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Journey begins

2 posters

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

The Journey begins Empty The Journey begins

Post by Valor Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:40 am

Valor enters into a run down tavern. He just left home for the first time and is excited for his new journey into the world to begin. He opens the creaky door into the tavern where several people sit and enjoy their drinks. Most do not pay attention to Valor, but some do glance and give strange looks. While it's not uncommon to see halfling passing through it is always uncommon to see a halfling by them selves. Valor carries himself with pride as he walks over to a nearby table. He knows that anyone could be a potential threat and he's prepared for the worst. He sit's alone at the table dropping his backpack to his side. Then he leans back and smiles as he thinks about finally having this opportunity to achieve his dream to become the worlds greatest martial artist. But where to start? This was the only question that could come to his mind as he looked around the tavern at the humans who enjoyed their drinks and shouted their joys to one another. He hoped that one day he too would be able to rejoice in his own revelries but for now he had more important things to attend to. He knew that people always found work in taverns and there was always adventures passing though looking for help. He would just need to wait until he found someone that needed his services.

Valor
Admin

https://ddfreeroam.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

The Journey begins Empty Re: The Journey begins

Post by Elliott the Undying Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:00 pm

The tavern is an unsavory undelightful place by every standard known to man and halfling. It is not very large, only accomodating 6 round tables in addition to the bar seating. Two tables are shoved together and are surrounded by half-orcs bellowing loudly in their obnoxious tongue and drinking easily more than their day's wage. As you walk in, a human sitting at the bar says, "Lookit that one! I heard the ale could stunt your growth, but I've drank kegs taller than him!" A human drinking with him chimes in, "He toddles in with that goofy grin on his face. Someone haul him off to Espar before he infects someone with his madness!" You spot the only halfling sized table in the rooom, which looks like it's been broken and nailed back together more than once. If you say nothing to the men making fun of you, the bartender will tell the other patrons to settle down or else he'll sever their supply of ale, "Hey, half-guy. Bar's open. What can I get you?"

(Do you want this to be an epic scale campaign, or do you want to explore your ideal self? Exploration won't be as exciting, but it will be ultra realistic in that not everything will go well. You'll have to suffer failure and rejection as well as enjoy success and companionship. You'll meet more farmers and common people than sorcerers and great warriors, and you also probably won't level up much. Also people might be a little bit racist. Or you can make your unstoppable martial artist, punch all who oppose you in the kneecaps, level up, get the girls, save the kingdom, have songs written about you, and get epic loot. Both sound just as fun to me honestly.)
Elliott the Undying
Elliott the Undying

Back to top Go down

Post by Valor Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:52 pm

(I would like to explore my ideal self, and meet the common folk)

Valor walks by the drunken men that yell the taunts. Seemingly ignoring them and focusing on his own thoughts. "Hello sir, I would just like some ale please. And a nice room for a day if you have it." He takes out two gold pieces and lays them down in front of the bartender.

Valor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Elliott the Undying Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:38 pm

"HAH! Poor thing can't tell the difference between a tavern and an inn!" The men laugh at you some more. "Jeremy, if he leaves, whatever money he was going to spend is coming out of your tab. Do you hear me?" The man grumbles and gulps his beverage. The barkeep picks up one of the gold pieces, "The only room you're going to find for that kind of money is at the Pilgrim a few streets down." He retrieves a small glass from under the bar, and pours a dark caramel colored liquid into it. "You don't drink as much as a full sized human, so that gold will buy you three more where this one came from." The one he called Jeremy protests, "Four for a gold?! But that's a third of a pint not a quarter!" "Well, aren't you observant! It would seem like his size isn't as terrible as you try to make him feel." They start arguing, and, once Jeremy starts yelling and smashes a mug, the barkeep draws a light crossbow from under the bar and orders him to leave. He leaves.
Elliott the Undying
Elliott the Undying

Back to top Go down

Post by Valor Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:57 pm

"Well that escalated quickly." Valor sits and thinks to himself while drinking. "So do you need a guard around here?"

Valor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Elliott the Undying Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:31 am

The barkeep chuckles, "I can't say I do. I haven't needed to shoot this crossbow for months. Waving it around usually does the trick." A few half-orcs approach the bar with empty flagons and gold. "Let me know if you need anything, whatsyername." He starts attending to other patrons.
Elliott the Undying
Elliott the Undying

Back to top Go down

Post by Valor Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:39 am

Finding no sign of adventurers in the tavern or any possible work. Valor decides to set off for a bigger town with more possibilities. He finishes his drinks and walks out of the tavern setting his course for Evening star.

Valor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Elliott the Undying Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:04 am

As you walk, you see a halfling further down the road. He takes a small paper out of his pocket, reads it, and then runs toward a low retaining wall. He plants his hands and throws his feet over his body, but not hard enough. He comes down on the other side of the wall on his shoulder. The halfling picks himself up and sits on the wall rubbing his shoulder as you walk his way. He reads the paper for a minute, then hops down for a reprised attempt. He dashes forward and, with a short yell, plants his hands and throws his feet over his head. His legs come around over him just as he pushes off with his arms landing on his feet a few yards in front of you. He throws his fists to the sky, "YES! Oh my goodness, did you see that? Please tell me you saw that!" He looks at you with excited eyes.
Elliott the Undying
Elliott the Undying

Back to top Go down

Post by Valor Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:18 am

A nervous smile spreads across Valors' face and he gives a small chuckle. "Yeah I saw it, very impressive. Where did you learn to do tricks like that?"

Valor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Elliott the Undying Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:32 pm

"I saw some humans from a carnival doing a bunch of flips and cool stuff a week or two ago. They charged like 25 gold for a one hour lesson. I only had 10, so they tried to teach me that wall flip thing. I couldn't get it fast enough, so one of them wrote the steps down for me." He spreads his hands like a carnival sign. "Can you see it: Aeryn, professional acrobat? Probably be a heck of a lot better performing in a carnival tent than living in one you have to move around every night to keep the guards off your back. Where are you off to, bud?"
Elliott the Undying
Elliott the Undying

Back to top Go down

Post by Valor Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:07 pm

"I'm heading to Evening star, in hopes of making a name for myself. So how would you like to join me. It would be nice to have some company for the trip."

Valor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Elliott the Undying Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:48 pm

"That sounds great actually. I've been wanting to get out of this dump of a city ever since I lost the house, but never found a good enough excuse to quit trying to make it here." He reaches behind the wall he was practicing on and picks up a belt with a few pouches and a knife strapped to it and cinches it around his waist. "I've got some stuff to pack, come on!" He starts running down an alley.

(It may be helpful to include what Valor thinks about people he meets and decisions he makes. Like why he ignored Jeremy and the drunks and why he's inviting this random person he doesn't know to travel with him. It might help you in a few months if you want to see what he was thinking now. I over did it with Carthyra on the old forum if you want examples. She was autistic with extreme social anxiety and all kinds of crazy.)
Elliott the Undying
Elliott the Undying

Back to top Go down

Post by Valor Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:00 pm

Valor follows the fellow halfling with a smile. He was now excited to have a friend that he could travel with. And was surprised that he could fine someone else who was so optimistic in a run down town like this. "So I see that you are interested in acrobatics. What is it that you do exactly?"

Valor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Elliott the Undying Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:45 pm

"I just think acrobatics are cool. Most people call me a beggar though, but I beg for work. I don't just ask for money. Anything you can think of really. Sweeping a store, carrying goods from a warehouse to a merchant's stall, fetching tools for a carpenter or blacksmith. As long as I can make a gold a day, I can eat. As long as I can eat, I can keep working. Sometimes they just give me food or free stuff instead of money, but some of it is cool." Aeryn turns down a few roads and gets to a large tent that looks like it was made for people much bigger than him. It also looks like he wasn't quite sure how to put it up. One of the ropes is tied to a drain pipe on a building, and the canvas is held up in the center by one pole with the pieces of the other pole leaned up against a wall. He goes into the tent and starts packing away.
Elliott the Undying
Elliott the Undying

Back to top Go down

Post by Valor Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:33 pm

Valor looks around the tent at some of the stuff sitting inside and looks over the tent that he had set up as what appeared to be his home. "Well Aeryn, that doesn't sound to bad at all." Valor stop for a moment to think about his dreams and what he hopes to accomplish in his life before talking again. "So tell me, what do you hope to accomplish in Evening Star?"

Valor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Elliott the Undying Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:55 pm

Aeryn puts a waterskin, a loaf of bread, a hunk of cheese, and a hunk of meat into a burlap sack and shoves it to the bottom of a backpack. You hear the muffled clink of glass from the bottom of the backpack. He then folds and rolls a big thick blanket and ties it to the bottom of the backpack. "You know what? I'm not sure yet. I've only had a couple minutes to think about it and I'm too excited to actually be leaving to think straight about any plan. I'm sure I'll come up with something by the time we reach Dhedluk." He stands up and kicks the bottom of the pole and the tent collapses on both of you. "Here, help me fold this," as he find his way out of the canvas. As you start folding, he asks you, "How about you? what's your plan once we're out of here and in the big city?"
Elliott the Undying
Elliott the Undying

Back to top Go down

Post by Valor Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:21 am

Valor start folding up the tent with Aeryn, wondering how much more spontaneous his journey was about to become for choosing to bring him along. "I want to have a simple life: get married, find a house, become a world famous martial artist. Just simple stuff." One they finish folding up the tent and seem to be ready to go Valor speaks again. "I think this is going to be much more fun with you joining me, Aeryn."

Valor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Elliott the Undying Sat Jun 06, 2015 2:16 am

Aeryn stuffs the tent into a burlap sack and throws it over his shoulder along with his backpack. "I'm glad you think so. We'll see though. I'd hate to make a drudgery of your experience. A martial artist, huh. What art do you study?"
Elliott the Undying
Elliott the Undying

Back to top Go down

Post by Valor Sat Jun 06, 2015 3:10 am

Valor smiles and gives a slight chuckle. "I'm sure you won't. I study Taekwando and my name is Valor by the way." Then he walks out onto the street and takes a look around the town where he grew up and was excited to leave it behind in order to start a new life. "Well time to go." He begins walking side by side with Aeryn.

Valor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Elliott the Undying Sat Jun 06, 2015 3:01 pm

"Taekwondo. Huh. So you're a kicker then? I've always thought that setting sun was cool. Especially since I'm so little. If I knew it, maybe I could throw around those humans if they gave me trouble." He looks at the sky. "Speaking of setting sun, it's starting to get dark. Wanna throw up the tent? No..." He thinks for a moment or two. "You know what? I'm feeling like leaving like a king. I've almost got enough gold for a king's room at the Pale Prince. Wanna pitch in and get one?"
Elliott the Undying
Elliott the Undying

Back to top Go down

Post by Valor Sat Jun 06, 2015 6:54 pm

Valor thinks for a moment. Leaving here like kings after being looked down on for a long time would be really nice. "Yeah lets do it!" Valor takes off running towards the Pale Prince. "Oh and by the way, you don't need to worry about any humans messing with you while I'm around. I can't throw them but I can knock them down." He gives a smile and laughs as he continues running to the inn.

Valor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Elliott the Undying Sun Jun 07, 2015 2:29 am

Aeryn hobbles along after you. Inside is a modestly decorated interior with a neatly swept floor (a rare thing in Waymoot). It is bathed in the warm light of hooded oil lanterns and candles on the tables. You'd seen the Pale Prince before with its well painted sign, but the inside looks like the nicest building in the whole city aside form the governor's mansion. As you both walk in, you hear a familiar voice call out, "Good God! They're multiplying!" You look and see the drunk from the tavern earlier. He and a few of his buddies stand up. "Now what did you think you were doing getting me kicked out of the bar earlier?"
Elliott the Undying
Elliott the Undying

Back to top Go down

Post by Valor Sun Jun 07, 2015 12:38 pm

Valor walks forward and makes sure that he is standing in front of Aeryn. "I don't recall doing anything that got you kicked out of the bar. Now if you'll excuse me I have no business with you." Valor stands still without going into a fighting stance and waits to see what the men do. He keeps an emotionless look on his face while he actually felt very annoyed at the men for being so rowdy and troublesome.

Valor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Elliott the Undying Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:44 pm

Aeryn lightly chuckles and mumbles, "You did what?" Jeremy keeps walking toward you. You count 5 of them including their "leader." People start getting up from tables and moving further away. He is right in front of you now and throws his hands out mockingly to the rest of the room. Aeryn lets the tent slide form his shoulder and hit the floor. "Ooh, yes. They're always so damned innocent aren't they. Victims and martyrs every one." He turns quickly back to you, hoping to catch you off guard with a kick.

Roll sense motive to see it coming.

Bluff Mod/feign attempt/whatever this variant maneuver is: +3
Attack roll: +5
Elliott the Undying
Elliott the Undying

Back to top Go down

Post by Valor Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:44 pm

The member 'Elliott the Undying' has done the following action : Dices roll

#1 'd20' : 6

--------------------------------

#2 'd20' : 5